The 16 - 19 Bursary
Each year the Government allocates funding for students in sixth forms and colleges who are in need of financial support whilst remaining in education; please click on this link for more information: Age 16 to 19 Bursary Fund
There are two types of 16 to 19 bursary: a bursary for students in vulnerable groups and a discretionary bursary.
The bursary for students in vulnerable groups depends on your circumstances and benefits. You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:
- you’re in or recently left local authority care
- you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
- you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
- you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit.
The discretionary bursary is if you need financial help but do not qualify for a bursary for students in vulnerable groups.
At The Sele School, you can apply for this funding to help towards your education. This may include, but is not limited to; school trips, travel to and from school, art supplies, electronic devices, required kit or uniform.
As a school, we have discretion over how much you get and what it’s used for.
Applications will be considered from students who were previously entitled at any point in their schooling to free school meals, but also those whose parents or carers are entitled to any of the following state benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Experiencing reduced income for other reasons, such as furlough.
Parents or carers will need to provide evidence of entitlement to the benefits or their financial circumstances prior to payment.
To apply for this funding, please complete an application form which can be found by following the link. The form should be returned to your Head of Sixth Form with any relevant supporting documentation. The application will then be considered and the applicant will be notified of the decision. Qualifying applicants will receive a bursary. This will be subject to the student attending all lessons.